A TOAST ON A TOMB EPISODE 20
Linda peeped out from the taxi and saw a vacancy for a customer care officer in one ventures. Something in her ticked and she ordered the taxi man to stop.
Linda: “I am going to try that place one more time and if it doesn’t work, I swear that I will kill myself, it is a promise” , she thought.
She got down from the taxi and entered the office where she submitted her CV which she printed from her email. She was ushered into the manager’s office for the interview. As soon as her eyes fell on Ike, her heart skipped a beat.
Linda: “Good morning, sir” she managed to say wondering why her heart was beating for a stranger.
Ike mumbled a reply without taking his eyes off the screen of his Apple computer.
Ike: “Go ahead and tell me what you have to offer to this company if you get employed. For your information, the former customer relations officer who has served this company is due to be my wife in a month’s time and that is why we need a replacement so that she can assumed her roles fully as my wife” he said pompously.
Linda: “If I get employed, I promise to discharge my duties to the best of my abilities and…”
“What an angelic voice” Ike said looking up from the computer. ‘
Ike: “Didn’t my heart beat hard when you walked into my office? Now that I have seen your face and heard your voice, I must confess that you are very beautiful” he said imagining how delightful it would be like to have her in his bed.
Linda: “Thank you, sir” she replied shyly.
Ike: “Tell me about yourself. Oh, never mind, I will just go through your CV and find out all that I need to know”, he said and picked up a copy of her CV on this desk.
Ike: “Impressive”, he said after some minutes.
“So, tell me, what will you do if I ask you to help me defraud this company of 5 million naira for a 10% reward for you?” he asked not taking his eyes off her CV.
Linda was shocked and it took her a couple of seconds to find her voice.
Linda: “Sir?”
Ike: “oh common, don’t pretend. I am the manager here and there is this deal I want you to help me pull when you get employed. In fact, your agreeing to cooperate with me is what will give you this job. Can you help me do it? Think of what you can do with ten percent of 5 million” he said.
Linda: “I am sorry sir but you got the wrong accomplice. I can never steal” she said defiantly.
Ike: “I am not asking you to steal, all you need do is help me out in a way that I will tell you and nobody will ever find out, this is not the first time that I am doing this. The other customer relations officer helped me out and today we are engaged so you have nothing to fear. Besides, this company belongs to my stingy father so I am taking what rightfully belongs to me”
Linda: “this is so unbelievable. I think I am in the wrong place, yes I am definitely in the wrong place” said and snatched up her CV from his hands.
He tried to hold on to it off but she yanked it off.
Linda: “if you try to touch me again, I will scream and expose your evil deeds to the whole world”, you criminal.
She got up to leave but Ike’s voice stopped her midway.
Ike: “Okay. I will give you 20% of the proceeds of the deal. Still no? Okay, 30%, 40%? Alright, let’s do it fifty-fifty. You get 2.5 million and I get 2.5millon too”
Linda: “go to hell with your criminal deals and corrupt offers you imbecile!” she screamed at him.
Just before she stepped outside the door, Ike began to clap.
Ike: “Wow! Impressive! Very Impressive! Congratulations young lady, you just landed yourself a good job in this company” he said smiling broadly.
Linda: “what do you mean”, she said turning back to look at him.
Ike: “I pulled a stunt on you to test your integrity and you passed excellently. Not only am I impressed by your refusal to get involved in shady deals, I am also wowed by your confidence. The way you flung my words at my face without fear is one thing that only very few applicants can do” he said.
Linda: “Are…are you serious?” she said relaxing.
Ike: “of course I am. With this confidence of yours, I am sure that you can defend the company’s interest anywhere and everywhere before anyone without fear. I love bold women who do not hesitate to express their disapproval even if it means them raising their voice. I have always wanted such a woman for a wife, it is a pity that my fiancĂ©e is the timid and reserved type” he said.
Linda: “thank you, sir. I really do not know that to say” she said sincerely.
Ike: “Never mind, I will call my secretary to type your appointment letter, congratulations!”
====
Linda returned home happy and glad that she had decided to give life another chance rather than ending it on the third mainland bridge. She was giggling when the security man opened the gate and allowed her into the compound.
Security: “auntie, I look am for happy walahi” he said.
Linda: “I am happy but I need you to pray that my happiness be permanent. You see, I am not one that believes in God and prayer but what has been happening to me recently gives me cause for concern. People see me and the way they react, I feel something is wrong spiritually. So, help me pray because I don’t know how to pray” she confided in the security man whom she saw as being very pious and righteous.
Security: “no froblem, I will pray for you and I will also do sadaka for you” he said.
Linda: “sada… or what did you call it, what is the meaning of that?”
Security: “I go buy am for things share for poor people so that they will pray for you too”
Linda: “Oh, alms giving, fine. She brought out her wallet and gave him N3, 000 to use despite his protests that he would use his own money.
As soon as Tedela heard Linda’s voice, he ran up to his wardrobe and rubbed a spiritual powder on his hands and lips.
Linda ran up to him and hugged him and was just about to tell him all that transpired when he touched her on the face with the powdered hand.
Tedela: “follow me” he said and picked up his car keys.
She obeyed him and followed him out like a zombie.
Question: Omo, see wahala o. How will Linda ever get out of this trouble?
Comments
Post a Comment