A TOAST ON A TOMB EPISODE 18
Linda was tired of walking into one office or the other. She didn’t know why all the offices she was entering were chasing her away after she hands them her certificates.
Linda: “But what is wrong with my result now?” she said staring into the “B.SC Second Class Upper” that was boldly written on her statement of result.
She was tired of wearing heels and so she had resolved to wearing loafers since all she did was trek from one part of the city to the other aimlessly. She wondered where Tedela had gone to that early morning that she didn’t see him before he went out.
Linda: “what would I have done without Tedela in this city? He is like a saviour to me. I am sure that if not for him, I would have gone back to the village by now. But wait o, is it not even better I go back to the village? What is the use of staying in Lagos if I will not get a job and if I won’t find my brother ” she soliloquized.
She saw a vacancy for a sales representative in one company and she walked in confidently that she would do well in the interview since the vacancy was within her discipline.
As soon as the security man at the gate saw her approaching, he ran up to her and stopped her just before she stepped into the compound.
Security man: “Hey, wetin you dey find for here” he said arrogantly.
Linda: “I am sorry sir but I am here to apply for the job on your notice board” she said pointing to the notice.
Security man: “we no dey employ old people for here”
Linda: “I beg your pardon? Old people?” she said looking at herself over.
Security man: “Yes na, the job na for young person wey fit dey waka up and down as sales representative. Wetin old woman like you dey find for here?” he asked barricading the entrance to the compound.
Linda: “Excuse me, sir. I hope you are not drunk or something. I am 27 years old and you say I am old?”
The security man laughed out loud and long.
“Mama, you fit even born me seff. I no drunk, drinking on duty is not allowed. Just go house go rest your tired bones” he advised.
Linda was speechless, that was not the first time she was being referred to as an old lady and she wondered what the problem was.
Linda: “Why is everyone calling me an old woman? Are they blind or something?” she asked rhetorically.
Earlier during her search for a job, potential employers had sent her back home because they said that she was too old to work. Some had even given her transportation fare back home after they advised her to rest at home and wait on her children to feed her.
More than one security men had thrown her out, accusing her of being mad for seeking a job at such an old age.
Linda: “But I am not old now, or am I” she asked herself after she left the company’s premises.
She was just about crossing the road when she saw a huge building with “M Ventures” boldly inscribed on it. She decided to give it a try even though she did not see any notice of vacancy there. As soon as she got in, she was directed into the human recourse personnel office, a tall and light skinned woman in her mid fifties who welcomed her warmly.
Linda presented her CV and cover letter to the woman who took her time to go through it carefully.
Woman: “So, how do you know there is a vacancy in this office? Did you read it in the papers?” she asked looking up from the CV.
Linda: “Wow! There is a vacancy? I didn’t even know, ma. I just saw the company’s name and building and I decided to try my luck”, she said politely.
Woman: “Okay. You have a second class upper degree in business administration right?”
Linda answered in the affirmative.
Woman: “Good, now tell me, what can you do? I mean what sort of jobs can you do”
Linda: “Ah, any legitimate job ma. I don’t mind being a cleaner or messenger or even a security personnel here so long as I will earn some money for myself. I promise to give in my best in any capacity that you employ me” she said sincerely.
Woman: “I see. But why would a graduate like you opt for such jobs that are meant for the less educated?” she asked removing her eye glasses.
Linda: “ma, I have walked the length and breadth of this city in search of a job. There is no nook and cranny that I haven’t combed just to find something to do. For the past three months of my life, I have not done anything other than searching for a job from sunrise to sunset. I have come to accept that it takes more than a good result for one to get a good job in this country. At this stage, I am ready to take on any job, who knows God may elevate me from there” she said as politely as she could.
Woman: “Quite a pity that the unemployment situation in this country is turning to something else. So, if we employ you, how much would you be expecting us to pay you?” she was staring intently at her and Linda shifted on her seat uneasily.
Linda: “Any amount you pay me will be okay by me. I am sure you already have your salary structure for all job descriptions. Even if it is less than what you give others, I will accept” she said looking down on her worn out loafers whose soles could not stand another day of trekking.
Woman: “we usually don’t do this. I dare say that I am breaking protocol for your sake. Normally you are supposed to submit your CV and other documents then you go and come back at a date that will be announced in the national dailies for interview alongside other applicants. The best performer gets the job but you see, I understand your plight. Fifteen years ago, I was in your shoes. Having finished my NYSC, I thought getting a job will be easy but alas, I waited for almost five years afterwards before getting this job. Suffice is to say that I started here as marketer who was paid based on a 3% commission from any thing that I sell. I found grace with the manager who changed my department and from there I rose quickly on my career ladder through sheer hard work and commitment. I was transferred to Lagos five years ago and there I started a relationship with the branch manager. Today we have an adorable 3 year old son as a proof that destiny can be delayed but not denied. I got married at the age of 39, when everyone except God had given up on me. I will employ you because I salute your courage and humility despite the broad opportunities of prostitution that young girls who find life difficult like you have. You have the job, you will be a level 8 worker at the Business department with a salary of N100, 000 monthly and an upward review every six months based on your performance. You are to resume work 8am tomorrow morning, the head of your department will brief you on your job description. Congratulations, Miss Linda” she said and extended her hand firmly.
Linda: “I am dreaming, somebody please wake me up”, she said wiping the tears that was dripping down her eyes in torrents and ruining her makeup.
Woman: “This is no dream, my dear. Congratulations once again”
Linda: “No, I got to be dreaming. This is too good and easy to be true” she said and ran into the arms of the woman and held her in a tight hug.
Linda: “thank you ma. You have saved a soul. Thank you so very much, I promise never to let you down. Thank you” she kept on repeating.
Woman: “You are most welcome. Now go home and rest so that you can be fresh to resume early tomorrow morning” she suggested.
Linda: “If you don’t mind, I will like to start right away. I am tired of resting. Please ma, let me start right away” she pleaded.
Woman: “If you insist” she said and picked her Intel to call in the head of business administration’s department for further information.
Back home, Tedela was anxiously waiting for her return for he had to do what needed to be done to save his head.
Question: looks like there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel for Linda. But wait o, why is everyone seeing her as an old woman? Will she be able to keep the job?
Comments
Post a Comment